Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Arts/100 - Elements of Composition



The most important elements of art are line, mass, texture, color, and form. All these elements of composition are important to a piece of art, and picking a single most important one is almost impossible. They all work together to bring the beauty and the cohesiveness in art. However, if I absolutely have to pick the most important one, in my opinion, is color. Although black and white art can also be beautiful, I am usually not as attracted to it as I am to bright colors. One of my favorite artists, who is a master in showcasing color, is the not so famous Leonid Afremov. I accidentally stumbled across him on the internet, and immediately fell in love. His paintings are colorful and vibrant. One of my favorite pieces is the one called “Rain Princess”. The painting shows a girl walking on the street under the rain. The artist used different colors to show shapes, shadows, and lights. I have never seen it in person, but since it is an oil on canvas piece, I assume the texture is also interesting, because the artist used small strokes and so many different tones and hues. The landscape shows some buildings, but the painting is mainly focused on the girl and the rain. Lighter colors around the girl make her stand out, and although you can clearly understand the scene, I would still risk saying that this is an abstract piece.
http://afremov.com/image.php?type=P&id=17681

No comments:

Post a Comment